University of Toronto Institute for Aerospace Studies
- PhD Aerospace Science and Engineering ‘12
- M.A.Sc Aerospace Science and Engineering ‘07
- B. Eng. Mechanical Engineering ‘05
Research Interests: ^top
- Design optimization
- Multidisciplinary design optimization
- Conceptual aircraft design
- Aerostructural analysis and optimization
- Aeropropulsive analysis and optimization
Dr. Mader is a Research Investigator at the University of Michigan, where he has been a member of the Multidisciplinary Design Optimization Laboratory in various capacities for over a decade. His research has focused on Multidisciplinary Design Optimization technologies, including the development of conceptual design MDO tools, extending the scope of High-fidelity MDO problems to include stability and control characteristics, mission analysis and engine performance. He has also worked extensively with adjoint methods and automatic differentiation.
Positions Held at UM
- Post-doctoral Research Fellow – 2014-2015
- Research Investigator – 2015 – present
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Engineers Nova Scotia
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council Canada Graduate Scholarship – Doctoral, 2008-2010
- AIAA Best Paper Award, September 2008, for “ADjoint: an Approach for Rapid Development of Discrete Adjoint Solvers”, September 2006
- Etkin Medal (UTIAS), 2008
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship, 2007
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council Canada Graduate Scholarship – Masters, 2005
- Dalhousie University Avery Prize, 2005
- University Medal In Mechanical Engineering, 2005
- Canadian Society of Mechanical Engineering Gold Medal, 2005
- Liem R.P., Mader, C.A., Martins J.R.R.A., “Surrogate models and mixtures of experts in aerodynamic performance prediction for aircraft mission analysis”, Aerospace Science and Technology, Issue 43, 2015, pg. 126-151.
- Mader, C. A. and Martins, J.R.R.A., “Computing Stability Derivatives and their Gradients for Aerodynamic Shape Optimization”, AIAA Journal, Volume 52, Issue 11, 2014, pp. 2533-2546.
- Mader, C. A. and Martins, J.R.R.A., “Stability-Constrained Aerodynamic Shape Optimization of Flying Wings”, Journal of Aircraft, Volume 50, Issue 5, 2013, pp. 1431-1449.
- Mader, C. A. and Martins, J.R.R.A., “Derivatives for Time-Spectral Computational Fluid Dynamics Using an Automatic Differentiation Adjoint”, AIAA Journal, Volume 50, Issue 12, 2012, pp. 2809-2819.
- Mader, C. A. and Martins, J.R.R.A., “Computation of Aircraft Stability Derivatives Using an Automatic Differentiation Adjoint Approach”, AIAA Journal, Volume 49, Issue 12, 2011, pp. 2737-2750.
- Mader, C.A., Martins, J.R.R.A., Alonso, J.J., Van der Weide, E. “ADjoint: An Approach for the Rapid Development of Discrete Adjoint Solvers.” AIAA Journal. Volume 46, Number 4, 2008, Pages 863-873.
- Marta, A.C., Mader, C.A. , Martins, J.R.R.A. , Van der Weide, E. and Alonso, J.J. “A Methodology for the Development of Discrete Adjoint Solvers Using Automatic Differentiation Tools.” International Journal of Computational Fluid Dynamics. Volume 21, Issue 9, 2007, Pages 307-327.