University of Southampton
Gas Dynamics (Aero 225)
Hypersonic Aerothermodynamics (Aero 526)
Molecular Gas Dynamics (Aero 532)
Research Interests: ^top
Hypersonic aerothermodynamics, electric propulsion, rocket plumes and computation of nonequilibrium gas and plasma dynamics.
Iain D. Boyd is the James E. Knott Professor of Engineering in the Department of Aerospace Engineering at the University of Michigan. He received a Ph. D. in aeronautics and astronautics (1988) from the University of Southampton in England. He worked for four years at NASA Ames Research Center in the areas of aerothermodynamics and space propulsion. Dr. Boyd was a faculty member in mechanical and aerospace engineering at Cornell University for six years. He joined the University of Michigan in 1999. His research interests involve the development and application of physical models and computational methods for analysis of nonequilibrium gas and plasma dynamics processes in aerospace systems. He has authored over 200 journal articles, more than 300 conference papers, and recently published a book entitled “Nonequilibrium Gas Dynamics and Molecular Simulation.” Dr. Boyd is a Fellow of the American Institute for Aeronautics & Astronautics (AIAA), and has received the 1998 AIAA Lawrence Sperry Award, the 1997 AIAA Electric Propulsion Best Paper Award, and the 2011 AIAA Thermophysics Best Paper Award. He is also a Fellow of the American Physical Society and the Royal Aeronautical Society. Dr. Boyd serves on the editorial boards of the Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer and Physical Review Fluids. Dr. Boyd was awarded the Chief of Staff of the Air Force Award for Exceptional Public Service for his leadership role in the Air Force Scientific Advisory Board (AFSAB).
POSITIONS HELD AT U-M
Adjunct Professor 2019-present
Associate Professor 1999-2002
- Chief of Staff of the Air Force Award for Exceptional Public Service, United States Air Force, 2017
- Royal Aeronautical Society, Fellow, 2017-present
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (Fellow)
- American Physical Society (Fellow)
- Andrienko, D.A. and Boyd I.D., “Rovibrational Energy Transfer and Dissociation in O2-O Collisions,” Journal of Chemical Physics, Vol. 144, Article 104301, 2016.
- Stephani, K.S. and Boyd, I.D., “Spacecraft Plume Interactions With the Magnetosphere Plasma Environment,” Journal of Geophysical Research – Space Physics, Vol. 121, 2016, pp. 1402-1412.
- Boyd, I.D. and Josyula, E., “Resolution of the Vibrational Energy Distribution Function Using a Direct Simulation Monte Carlo – Master Equation Approach,” Physics of Fluids, Vol. 28, 2016, article 016102.
- Anna, A. and Boyd, I.D., “Numerical Analysis of Surface Chemistry in High-Enthalpy Flows,” Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 29, 2015, pp. 653-670.
- Andrienko, D. A. and Boyd, I. D. “High Fidelity Modeling of Thermal Relaxation and Dissociation of Oxygen,” Physics of Fluids, Vol. 27, 2015, Article 116101, 2015.
- Andrienko, D. and Boyd, I.D., “Investigation of Oxygen Vibrational Relaxation by Quasi-Classical Trajectory Method,” Chemical Physics, Vol. 459, 2015, pp. 1-13.
- Martin, A. and Boyd, I.D., “Modeling of Heat Transfer Attenuation By Ablating Gases During Stardust Reentry,” Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 29, 2015, pp. 450-466.
- Martin, A., Cozmuta, I., Wright, M.J., and Boyd, I.D., “Kinetic Rates for Gas-Phase Chemistry of Phenolic-Based Carbon Ablator in Atmospheric Air,” Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 29, 2015, pp. 222-240.
- Kim, J.G, and Boyd, I.D., “Master Equation Analysis of Post Normal Shock Waves of Nitrogen,” Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 29, 2015, pp. 241-252.
- Galitzine, C. and Boyd, I.D., “An Analysis of the Convergence of the Direct Simulation Monte Carlo Method,” Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 289, 2015, pp. 196-223.
- Martin, A. and Boyd, I.D., “Strongly Coupled Computation of Material Response and Nonequilibrium Flow for Hypersonic Ablation,” Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 52, 2015, pp. 89-104.
- Boyd, I.D., “Computation of Hypersonic Flows Using the Direct Simulation Monte Carlo Method,” Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 52, 2015, pp. 38-53.
- Kim, J.G. and Boyd, I.D., “Thermochemical Nonequilibrium Analysis of O2+Ar Based on State-Resolved Kinetics,” Chemical Physics, Vol. 446, 2015, pp. 76-85.
- Dragnea, H.C., Boyd, I.D., Lee, B.C., and Yalin, A.P., “Characterization of Eroded Boron Atoms in the Plume of a Hall Thruster,” IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 43, 2015, pp. 35-44.
- Schwartzentruber, T.E. and Boyd, I.D., “Progress and Future Prospects for Particle-Based Simulation of Hypersonic Flow,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences, Vol. 72, 2015, pp. 66-79.
- Galitzine, C. and Boyd, I.D., “An Adaptive Procedure for Numerical Parameters of a Particle Simulation,” Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 281, 2015, pp. 449-472.
- Alkandry, H., Boyd, I.D., and Martin, A., “Comparison of Transport Properties Models for Flowfield Simulations of Ablative Heat Shields,” Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 28, 2014, pp. 569-582.
- Stephani, K.S., Boyd, I.D., Balthazor, R.L., McHarg, M., Mueller, B., and Adams, R., “Analysis and Observation of Spacecraft Plume/Ionosphere Interactions During maneuvers of the Space Shuttle,” Journal of Geophysical Research-Space Physics, Vol. 119, 2014, pp. 7636-7648.
- Hara, K., Sekarak, M.J., Boyd, I.D., and Gallimore, A.D., “Perturbation Analysis of Ionization Oscillations in Hall Effect Thrusters,” Physics of Plasmas, Vol. 21, 2014, Article 122103.
- Crow, A.J., Boyd, I.D., Brown, M.S., and Liu, J., “Thermal Radiative Simulations and Measurements of a Scramjet Test Rig,” Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 30, 2014, pp. 1543-1550.