Ph.D., Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, 2014
M.S., Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, 2012
University of Colorado
M.S., Mechanical Engineering, 2011
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, 2009
Research Interests: ^top
Fluid mechanics, with an emphasis on computational methods, multiphase and granular flow, turbulence, combustion, and high-performance computing. Applications include renewable energy, carbon capture, environmental flows, aerosols, turbomachinery, and space.
Jesse Capecelatro is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Michigan. His research group develops numerical methods and data-driven approaches for the prediction and optimization of “messy turbulent flows” relevant to energy and the environment (often multiphase and reacting). Prior to joining Michigan in 2016, Dr. Capecelatro was a research scientist at the Center for Exascale Simulation of Plasma-coupled Combustion (XPACC) at the University of Illinois. He received a B.S. from SUNY Binghamton in 2009, a M.S. from the University of Colorado Boulder in 2011, and a Ph.D. from Cornell in 2014. He is a recipient of the National Science Foundation CAREER Award, Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award, and the ASME Pi Tau Sigma Gold Medal Award.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- ASME Pi Tau Sigma Gold Medal “for outstanding achievements in mechanical engineering within ten years of graduation”, 2019
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 2019
- Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award, 2019
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (Member)
- American Physical Society (Member)
Full List of Publications
- Lattanzi, A., Tavanashad, V., Subramaniam, S., Capecelatro, J., (2020) Stochastic models for capturing dispersion in particle-laden flows. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. In press.
- Beetham, S., Capecelatro, J., (2020) Formulating turbulence closures using sparse regression with embedded form invariance. Physical Review Fluids. 5, 084611.
- Shallcross, G. S., Fox, R. O., Capecelatro, J., (2020) A volume-filtered description of compressible particle-laden flows. International Journal of Multiphase Flows. 122, 1–19.
- Baker, M. C., Fox, R. O., Kong, B., Capecelatro, J., Desjardins, O. (2020) Reynolds- stress modeling of cluster-induced turbulence in particle-laden vertical channel flow, Physical Review Fluids. 5, 074304.
- Yao, Y., Capecelatro, J. (2019) Electrohydrodynamic generation of atmospheric turbulence. Physical Review Fluids. 4, 1–19.
- Kord, A., Capecelatro, J. (2019) Optimal perturbations for controlling the growth of a Rayleigh–Taylor instability. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. 876, 150–185.
- Buchta, D. A., Shallcross, G., Capecelatro, J. (2019) Sound and turbulence modulation by particles in high-speed shear flows. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. 875, 254–285.
- Popov, P. P., Buchta, D. A., Anderson, M. J., Massa, L., Capecelatro, J., Bodony, D. J., Freund, J. B. (2019) Learning-Assisted Early Ignition Prediction in a Complex Flow. Combustion and Flame. 206, 451–466.
- Beetham, S., Capecelatro, J. (2019) Biomass pyrolysis in fully-developed turbulent riser flow. Renewable Energy. 140, 751–760.
- Rao, A. A., Capecelatro, J. (2019) Coarse-grained modeling of sheared granular beds. International Journal of Multiphase Flows. 114, 258–267.