- Ph.D., The University of Texas at Austin, May 2002
- M.S., The University of Texas at Austin, May 1998
- B.S., University of Southern California, May 1996
ENG 100, Underwater Vehicle Design
NA 280, Probability for Marine Engineers
NA 424, Hydrofoils, Propellers and Turbines
NA 492, Marine Engineering Laboratory
NA520, Intermediate Hydrodynamics
Research Interests: ^top
- Smart/adaptive marine propulsors and turbines
- Multi-functional composite marine structures
- Smart energy conversion systems
Prof. Young is internationally well known for her work on numerical and experimental modeling of adaptive composite marine structures. Her research focuses on advancing the fundamental understanding of the dynamic response and stability of smart/adaptive marine structures in multiphase flows, with direct applications to propulsors and control surfaces for marine vehicles, energy harvesting and energy saving devices. Prof. Young is a member of the Committee on the Update of National Naval Responsibility for Naval Engineering (B0164) managed by the Transportation Research Board (TRB) Executive Committee under the National Academy of Sciences. Prof. Young is also a member of the Seakeeping Committee for the International Towing Tank Conference (ITTC), and a member of the joint ITTC-ISSC (International Ship and Offshore Structures Congress) Working Group. Prof. Young also served as the Society of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering (SNAME) representative on the United States National Committee on Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (USNC/TAM) between 2009-2014. Prof. Young has written over 250 journal and conference papers related to the fluid-structure interaction response and stability of marine and coastal structures. Her research has been supported by the Office of Naval Research (ONR), the Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC), and the National Science Foundation (NSF). She has also served as a consultant to industry, the U.S. Navy, the U.S. Department of Justice, as well as domestic and international funding agencies.
Position held at the University of Michigan
- Professor, Aerospace Engineering, University of Michigan, 2019-present
- Professor, Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan, 2019-present
- Director, Marine Hydrodynamics Laboratory, University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 2017 – present
- Professor, Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, University of Michigan, 2015-present
- Associate Professor, Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, University of Michigan, 2009-2015
- Senior ASEE-ONR Summer Faculty Fellow, Naval Surface Warfare Center, Carderock Division, 2009
- UPS Visiting Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Stanford University, 2008
- Assistant Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Princeton University, 2002-2009
- Invited Presenter, NATO-AVT-307: Symposium on Separated Flow: Prediction, Measurement and Assessment for Air and Sea Vehicles, 2019.
- Invited Keynote Lecture, A.Yücel ODABAŞI Colloquium Series: 3rd International Meeting – Progress in Propeller Cavitation and its Consequences: Experimental and Computational Methods for Predictions in conjunction with the inauguration of ITU Cavitation Tunnel (ITU-CAT), 2018.
- Invited Keynote Lecture, 17th International Symposium on Transport Phenomena and Dynamics of Rotating Machinery, 2017.
- Invited Keynote Lecture, 9th Australasian Congress on Applied Mechanics (ACAM 9), 2017.
- Invited Keynote Lecture, 16th International Symposium on Transport Phenomena and Dynamics of Rotating Machinery, 2016.
- Network for Earthquake Engineering Simulation Outstanding Contributor Award, 2014.
- Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering Dept. Achievement Award, University of Michigan, 2013.
- Outstanding Faculty Award, Quarterdeck Honorary Society, University of Michigan, 2012.
- Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering 2009 Best Paper of Ocean Renewable Energy Symposium, 2009.
- Office of Naval Research-American Society for Engineering Education Senior Faculty Fellow, 2009.
- UPS Foundation Visiting Professorship, Stanford University, 2008.
- Office of Naval Research (ONR) Young Investigator Award, 2005.
- Rheinstein School of Engineering and Applied Science Junior Faculty Award, Princeton University, 2005.
ASME, ASNE, ITTC
- I.M. Di Napoli, Y.L. Young, S.L. Ceccio, and C.M. Harwood, “Design and Benchmarking of a Low-Cost Shape Sensing Spar for in-situ Measurement of Deflections in Slender Lifting Surfaces in Complex Multiphase Flows,” Smart Materials and Structures, v28: 055038, 2019.
- Liao, N. Garg, J.R.R.A. Martins, Y.L. Young, “Viscous Fluid Structure Interaction Response of Composite Hydrofoils,” Composite Structures, v212: 571-585, 2019.
- Garg, B.W. Pearce, P.A. Brandner, A.W. Phillips, J.R.R.A Martins, and Y.L. Young “Experimental Investigation of a Hydrofoil Designed via Hydrostructural Optimization,” Journal of Fluids and Structures, v84: 243-262, 2019.
- J.C. Ward, C.M. Harwood, and Y.L. Young, “Inverse Method for Hydrodynamic Load Reconstruction on a Flexible Surface-Piercing Hydrofoil in Multi-Phase Flow,” Journal of Fluids and Structures, v77: 58-79, 2018.
- Y.L. Young, N. Garg, P.A. Brandner, B.W. Pearce, D. Butler, D. Clarke, and A.W. Philips, “Load-Dependent Bend-Twist Coupling Effects on the Steady-state Hydroelastic Response of Composite Hydrofoils,” Composite Structures, v189: 398-418, 2018.
- Garg, G. Kenway, J. Martins, Y.L. Young, “High-fidelity Multipoint Hydrostructural Optimization of a 3-D Hydrofoil,” Journal of Fluids and Structures, v71: 15–39, 2017.
- E.J. Chae, D.T. Akcabay, Y.L. Young, “Influence of Flow-induced Bend-twist Coupling on the Natural Vibration Response of Flexible Hydrofoils,” Journal of Fluids and Structures, v69: 323-340, 2017.
- Y.L. Young, C.M. Harwood, F.M. Montero, J.C. Ward, and S.L. Ceccio, “Ventilation of Lifting Bodies: Review of the Physics and Discussion of Scaling Effects,” Applied Mechanics Reviews, v69: 010801, 2017.
- Y.L. Young, M.R. Motley, R. Barber, E.J. Chae, and N.G. Garg, “Adaptive Composite Marine Propulsors and Turbines: Progress and Challenges,” Applied Mechanics Reviews, v68: 062001, 2016.
- E.J. Chae, D.A. Akcabay, A. Lelong, J.A. Astolfi, and Y.L. Young, “Numerical and Experimental Investigation of Natural Flow-induced Vibrations of Flexible Hydrofoils,” Physics of Fluids, v28: 075102, 2016.
- C.M. Harwood, Y.L. Young, S.L. Ceccio, “Ventilated Cavities on a Surface-Piercing Hydrofoil at Moderate Froude Numbers: Cavity Formation, Elimination, and Stability,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, v800: 5-56, 2016.
- R.J. Caverly, C. Li, E.J. Chae, J.R. Forbes, and Y.L. Young, “Modeling and Control of Flow-induced Vibrations of a Flexible Hydrofoil in Viscous Flow,” Smart Materials and Structures, v25(6): 065007, 2016.
- Wang, S. Alben, C. Li and Y.L. Young, “Stability and Scaling of Piezoelectric Flags,” Physics of Fluids, Vol. 28, 023601, 2016.
- D.T. Akcabay E.J. Chae, Y.L. Young, A. Ducoin, and J.A. Astolfi, “Cavity-Induced Vibration of Flexible Hydrofoils,” Journals of Fluids and Structures, v49: 463-484, 2014.
- D.T. Akcabay and Y.L. Young, “Influence of Cavitation on the Hydroelastic Stability of Hydrofoils,” Journals of Fluids and Structures, Vol. 49, pp. 170-185, 2014.
- E.J. Chae, D.T. Akcabay, and Y.L. Young, “Dynamic Response and Stability of a Flapping Foil in a Dense, Viscous Fluid,” Physics of Fluids, Vol. 25, no. 104106, 2013.
- Huang, A. Ducoin, and Y.L. Young, “Physical and Numerical Investigation of Transient Cavitating Flows around a Pitching Hydrofoil,” Physics of Fluids, v25: 102109, 2013.
- Y.L. Young, J. Baker, and M.R. Motley, “Reliability-Based Design and Optimization of Adaptive Marine Structures,” Composite Structures, v92: 244-253, 2010.
- M.R. Motley, Z. Liu, and Y.L. Young, “Utilization Fluid-Structure Interactions to Improve Energy Efficiency of Composite Marine Propellers in Spatially Varying Wake,” Composite Structures, v90: 304-313, 2009.
- Y.L. Young, “Fluid-Structure Interaction Analysis of Flexible Composite Marine Propellers,” Journal of Fluids and Structures, v24(6): 799-818, 2008.