To provide internationally recognized leadership in aerospace engineering education, through a continuously improving educational program that graduates students with strong engineering science fundamentals while incorporating applied engineering aspects.
Strategic Planning Statement
Foster a culture of innovation in education and research to enable the creation of ideas, knowledge, and practices that will revolutionize aerospace engineering for the benefit of society.
The University of Michigan Department of Aerospace Engineering strives to provide internationally recognized leadership in aerospace engineering education and research by being a place that:
- Educates students who are widely known for exceptional strength in technical fundamentals across all aerospace disciplines, who are cognizant of modern aerospace technologies and who are sought after by top graduate schools and by aerospace and related industries worldwide;
- Offers a variety of excellent degree programs satisfying the needs of a diverse body of students, with graduates who are of exceptionally high value to aerospace and related industries worldwide;
- Supports vibrant and highly recognized research programs that serve the educational goals of its undergraduate and graduate degree programs, that make major contributions to the knowledge base in aerospace sciences and technology and that are turned to by industry, government and academia;
- Creates an environment of unsurpassed intellectual challenge and excitement that at the same time is collegial and conducive to higher learning;
- Recognizes that aerospace engineering comprises disciplines and technologies that are distinct in the manner of their integration and application and must be taught accordingly; and,
- Takes full advantage of the unparalleled breadth of knowledge, technology, facilities and resources of one of the largest and most highly regarded universities worldwide, the University of Michigan.
Aerospace Engineering at U-M is involved in leading, cutting edge research.