3012 François-Xavier Bagnoud Aerospace Building
1320 Beal Avenue Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2140
Undergraduate Program Chair, Aerospace Engineering
University of California, Berkeley
PhD Engineering ’02
Florida Atlantic University
MS Ocean Engineering ’98
École des Mines d’Alès
Diplôme d’Ingénieur Computer Science ’97
- AE341, Aircraft Dynamics
- AE343, Space Flight Mechanics
- AE470, Control of Aerospace Vehicles
- AE483, Space Systems Design
- AE550, Linear Systems
- AE551, Nonlinear Dynamics and Control
- AE573, Dynamics and Control of Spacecraft
- AE740, Special Topics in Flight Dynamics and Control: Cooperative Control of UAVs, Advanced FDC, Nonlinear and Predictive Control, Applied Nonlinear Control and Autonomy
IEEE, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
Professor Girard’s interests include the dynamics, control, and optimization of advanced, increasingly autonomous vehicles operating in space, air, ground or marine domains. She is a co-director of the Vehicle Optimization, Dynamics, Control and Autonomy Laboratory. In addition to modeling and control of the mechanical motions of such vehicles, Professor Girard, and the lab consider the related problems of trajectory optimization, increasing autonomy, optimal energy and heat management, and information collection. Recent applications include spacecraft, UAVs, fighter jets, autonomous cars and America’s Cup foiling catamarans.
POSITIONS HELD AT U-M
Associate Professor, Department of Aerospace Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan (2012 – present)
Assistant Professor, Department of Aerospace Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan (2006 – 2012)
- Link Foundation Fellowship in Ocean Engineering and Instrumentation (2000- 2001)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Best Student Paper Award, Ocean, Offshore and
- Arctic Engineering Division (May 2001)
- Visiting Summer Faculty Fellowship at AFRL, Summers (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008)
- National Academy of Engineering Frontiers of Engineering Participant (2007)
- AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Technical Committee (Elected) (2007-2011)
- Associate Member, AIAA (2008)
- Associate Fellow, AIAA (2015)
- Senior Member, IEEE (2014)
- Sigma Gamma Tau Silver Shaft Award (UM Teaching Award) (2013)
Related News Stories
Anouck Girard of the U-M Department of Aerospace Engineering is promoted to full professor with tenure.
Three Michigan Engineering undergraduate students explain the aerodynamics of football in the 2021 U-M Aerospace Engineering Outreach YouTube video.
Michigan Aerospace congratulates Kaelan Oldani, who received the prestigious College of Engineering Hugh G. Rummler Prize
Michigan Aerospace congratulates alumni Dr. Andy Klesh on recieving the AIAA Engineer of the Year award.
The Aerospace Department congratulates our recipients of the Aerospace Engineering and College of Engineering awards.