Iman Javaheri is awarded Beyster Computational Innovation Graduate Fellowship

Aerospace PhD Candidate, Iman Javaheri, is honored by the College of Engineering for his research, innovation, and leadership

Aerospace PhD Candidate, Iman Javaheri, was announced as one of the final awardees for J.Robert Beyster Computational Innovation Graduate Fellows Program. The Beyster Fellowship acknowledges graduate students that are “the originators and carriers of innovative ideas and solutions from the University to the world,” and emphasizes the pivotal role that high-performance computing plays in solving our societal challenges. 

Javaheri is a PhD Candidate in the Aerospace Engineering and Scientific Computing program. His research interests lie in the intersection between Statistical Modeling and Material Science in order to target real-world problems pertinent to the defense, aerospace, and manufacturing communities. 

Prof. Sundararaghavan, Javaheri’s PhD advisor, writes “Iman has made significant contributions to computational materials sciences, specifically large-scale microstructure reconstruction and analysis, that opens up new ideas for next generation aerospace manufacturing.”

The Beyster Fellowship is designed for domestic graduate students in the College of Engineering to support cutting-edge research in the fields related to high-performance computing, networking, and storage, which Javaheri has significantly contributed to throughout his graduate studies in Michigan. Additionally, as a student researcher in the NASA Pathways Program, Javaheri has developed predictive computational material models for microstructure reconstruction/evolution as well as crystal plasticity simulations for deformation/failure analysis of additively-manufactured aerospace components. Among other awards, Javaheri has received the National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship, the Rackham Merit Fellowship (RMF), the Michigan Institute for Computational Discovery & Engineering (MICDE) Fellowship, and the Towner Prize for Distinguished Academic Achievement. 

The Beyster award is truly making a difference in Javaheri’s life.

“I am sincerely honored to have been selected… and I am forever grateful for this endowment by Dr. J. Robert Beyster’s philanthropy at the College of Engineering,” he writes. “Your generosity and support throughout the 2022-23 academic year have allowed me to concentrate on my graduate studies, motivated me to maintain my exemplary academic performance, and got me closer to achieving my career aspiration of becoming a future technical leader in my field. Your earnest investment in my professional goals will not be forgotten.”