The faculty, students, and staff of the University of Michigan Department of Aerospace Engineering are committed to a department culture that supports and celebrates each of our members in their studies and their work.
We know that excellence and diversity go hand-in-hand. Only with a diverse group of students, faculty, and staff – diversity of race, gender, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, skin color, socioeconomic status, physical and mental challenges faced – can Michigan Aero be the leaders and best. Whether you are a student, an educator, a discoverer, an innovator, a technician, an administrator – or any combination of those – we value what makes you you.
Whether you are a student, an educator, a discoverer, an innovator, a technician, an administrator—or any combination of those—we value what makes you you. See a list of faculty, staff and student diversity, equity, and inclusion resources.
AERO DEI AND OUTREACH COMMITTEES
The Aerospace Department DEI and Outreach Committees comprise students, faculty, and staff leaders. We work to support the University DEI strategic plan, and that of the College of Engineering: Beyond the five-year plan. In particular, we work to forward the DEI College strategic objectives in our department.
- Creating opportunities for learning and dialogue about DEI
- Tracking metrics to monitor our progress in DEI
- Providing accountability, and rewarding successes
- Building a safe, supportive, constructive climate and physical environment
- Enhancing diversity in leadership, faculty, students and staff
- Supporting resources and events that enhance DEI
Building a vibrant community makes us all feel like we belong.
Brown bag lunches with the department chair
Coffee hours—faculty-hosted virtual hangouts
Contact Gwen Brown to learn more about these events.
In an effort to improve our departmental climate, we are focusing on collecting statistics and improving mentorship.
The A.E.R.O. Mentorship Program (AMP) takes a
unique multi-level approach to supporting students
with their academic success, program inclusivity,
and career goals.
Learn more about the A.E.R.O Mentorship Program (AMP)
As academics, we understand that learning is a lifelong process. We are dedicated to continuing this journey in pursuit of equitable representation.
Semesterly AEROSP 200 “Perceptions, Expectations, Prejudices” lecture
Semesterly AEROSP 585 seminar on implicit bias, stereotype threat, and accumulation of disadvantage
AERO DEI SUMMARY
AERO DEI Summary
Inform AERO staff, faculty and students of the DEI Committee’s current status, progress, and goals.
AEROSPACE DEPARTMENT DEI COMMITTEE
- Xiaosong Du – Postdoc
- Lawren Gamble – (Point of Contact) – Postdoc
- Ann Garbowski – Undergraduate Student
- George Halow – Professor of Practice
- Christina Harvey – PhD Candidate
- Kevin Haughn – PhD Candidate
- Jean-Baptiste Jeannin – Assistant Professor
- Prince Kuevor – PhD Candidate
- Marco Mangano – PhD Candidate
- Giuliana Mannarino – Undergraduate Student
- Joaquim R. R. A. Martins (Chair) – Professor, DEI Lead and DEI College Liaison
- Kristin Parrish – Staff
- Catherine Philpott – Undergraduate Student
- Divya Sanghi – PhD Candidate
- Kavya Saravanan – Undergraduate Student
- Emilee Seghi – Undergraduate Student
To request attendance at a DEI meeting, please email Aero DEI Committee Chair, Prof. Joaquim Martins
AEROSPACE DEPARTMENT OUTREACH COMMITTEE
- Rohun Athayle – Undergraduate Student
- Delenn Bauer – Undergraduate Student
- Karthik Duraisamy – Associate Professor
- Pete Washabaugh – Arthur F. Thurnau Professor