Massachusetts Institute of Technology
PhD Aerospace Engineering ’07
SM Aerospace Engineering ’04
SB Aerospace Engineering ’03
SB Physics ’03
Computational fluid dynamics
Research Interests: ^top
- Robust algorithms for computational fluid dynamics
- Geometry management and mesh generation
- Parallel computation
- Large-scale model reduction
- Output-based error estimation
- Design under uncertainty
Krzysztof Fidkowski is an associate professor in the Aerospace Engineering Department at the University of Michigan. His research interests include development of robust solution techniques for computational fluid dynamics, error estimation, computational geometry management, parallel computation, large-scale model reduction, and design under uncertainty. His teaching interests are in undergraduate aerodynamics and numerical methods, and in graduate computational fluid dynamics.
POSITIONS HELD AT U-M
Associate Professor, Aerospace Engineering, 2014 – present
Assistant Professor, Aerospace Engineering, 2008 – 2014
Full List of Publications
- Kaihua Ding and Krzysztof J. Fidkowski. Acceleration of adjoint-based adaptation through sub-iterations. Computers and Fluids, 2020. Accepted.
- Matteo Franciolini, Krzysztof J. Fidkowski, and Andrea Crivellini. Efficient discontinuous Galerkin implementations and preconditioners forimplicit unsteady compressible flow simulations. Computers and Fluids, 2020. Accepted.
- Francesco Bassi, Alessandro Colombo, Andrea Crivellini, Krzysztof J. Fidkowski, Matteo Franciolini, Antonio Ghidoni, and Gianmaria Noventa. An entropy-adjoint p-adaptive discontinuous Galerkin method for the under-resolved simulation of turbulent flows. AIAA Journal, 2020. Accepted.
- Guodong Chen and Krzysztof J. Fidkowski. Discretization error control for constrained aerodynamic shape optimization. Journal of Computational Physics, 387:163–185, 2019.
- Krzysztof J. Fidkowski. Comparison of hybrid and standard discontinuous Galerkin methods in a mesh-optimisation setting. International Journal of Computational Fluid Dynamics, 33(1-2):34–42, 2019.
- Kevin Doetsch and Krzysztof J. Fidkowski. Combined entropy and output-based adjoint approach for mesh refinement and error estimation. AIAA Journal, 57(8), 2019.
- Gustavo L.O. Halila, Guodong Chen, Yayun Shi, Krzysztof J. Fidkowski, Joaquim R.R.A. Martins, and Márcio Teixeira de Mendonça. High-reynolds number transitional flow simulation via parabolized stability equations with an adaptive RANS solver. Aerospace Science and Technology, 91:321 — 336, 2019.
- Krzysztof J. Fidkowski and Guodong Chen. Output‐based mesh optimization for hybridized and embedded discontinuous Galerkin methods. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 121(5):867–887, 2019.
- Krzysztof J. Fidkowski. Output-based space-time mesh optimization for unsteady flows using continuous-in-time adjoints. Journal of Computational Physics, 341(15):258–277, July 2017.
- Krzysztof J. Fidkowski. A hybridized discontinuous Galerkin method on mapped deforming domains. Computers and Fluids, 139(5):80–91, November 2016.
- Marco A. Ceze and Krzysztof J. Fidkowski. High-order output-based adaptive simulations of turbulent flow in two dimensions. AIAA Journal, 54(9), 2016.
- Devina P. Sanjaya and Krzysztof J. Fidkowski. Improving high-order finite element approximation through geometrical warping. AIAA Journal, 54(12):3994–4010, 2016.
- Marco A. Ceze and Krzysztof J. Fidkowski. Constrained pseudo-transient continuation. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 102:1683–1703, 2015.
- Steven M. Kast, Johann P.S. Dahm, and Krzysztof J. Fidkowski. Optimal test functions for boundary accuracy in discontinuous finite element methods. Journal of Computational Physics, 298(1):360–386, 2015.
- K.J. Fidkowski. Algebraic tailoring of discontinuous Galerkin p-multigrid for convection. Computers and Fluids, 98(2):164–176, 2014.
- M. A. Ceze and K. J. Fidkowski. Drag prediction using adaptive discontinuous finite elements. AIAA Journal of Aircraft, 51(4):1284–1294, 2014.
- Devina Sanjaya, Krzysztof Fidkowski, and Ian Tobasco. Adjoint-accelerated statistical and deterministic inversion of atmospheric contaminant transport. Computers and Fluids, 100(1):291–307, 2014.
- Marco A. Ceze and Krzysztof J. Fidkowski. An anisotropic hp-adaptation framework for functional prediction. AIAA Journal, 51:492–509, 2013.
- Z.J. Wang, Krzysztof Fidkowski, Remi Abgrall, Francesco Bassi, Doru Caraeni, Andrew Cary, Herman Deconinck, Ralf Hartmann, Koen Hillewaert, H.T. Huynh, Norbert Kroll, Georg May, Per-Olof Persson, Bram van Leer, and Miguel Visbal. High-order CFD methods: Current status and perspective. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, 2013.
- Steven M. Kast and Krzysztof J. Fidkowski. Output-based mesh adaptation for high order Navier-Stokes simulations on deformable domains. Journal of Computational Physics, 252(1):468–494, 2013.